Friday, February 25, 2011

Freedom or Bondage?

As a kid, I remember looking up to those in my life who were young adults. I had many cousins and family friends who were living in that phase of life and I thought they were definitely the coolest people around. They could go out with friends, they could drive, they could have jobs, they didn’t have to do chores (at least I didn’t see their chore lists on the refrigerator,) and I was sure that they were living a life of complete freedom.
Now I find myself in this phase of life. I can go out with friends, I can drive, I have a job, I don’t have to do chores (if I don’t mind living in a slum), but somehow I am not living a life of complete freedom. Were my thoughts as a child so incorrect? Yes. Yes they were.

My childhood mind did not contemplate one little factor: responsibility. It seems to increase with age. {Maybe it’ll level off at some point? Maybe not.} I suppose I didn’t take into account that moving toward independence isn’t the easiest thing. I didn’t realize that eventually mom and dad wouldn’t be responsible for bailing me out. {Okay, that statement is a little premature because they definitely have and do bail me out regularly.}

Responsibilities seem to equate to bondage in life. While I have more freedoms as an individual, I also have more bondage in responsibility.

{Feeling a little disillusioned today.}
<-- This happened to me today. :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment